Creative Hub / Coastal Community Team
North Shields Fish Quay was chosen to be one of the first Coastal Community Teams in England in 2015.
This was as a result of the area’s excellent community engagement following the production of the North Shields Fish Quay Neighbourhood Plan and Conservation Area Character Statements/Appraisals, as well as working with established interest groups such as Folk Interested in Shields Harbour (F.I.S.H).
A Coastal Community Team is a local partnership consisting of the local authority and a range of people and business interests from a coastal community who have an understanding of the issues facing that area and can develop an effective forward strategy for that place. The teams include a range of local stakeholders and have broad support.
Coastal Community Teams choose their own priorities, however, areas of focus can include:
- enhancing the attractiveness and accessibility of public areas
- providing increased community facilities
- promoting the visitor economy
- encouraging sustainable uses of heritage/cultural assets
- creating links to support the growth and performance of the commercial sector
North Shields Fish Quays Coastal Community Team has successfully completed a number of projects to improve the area, including:
- Brand new Fish Quay website, linking with local businesses and events
- New branding to be used in all future events and publicity materials
- New commercial waste bin enclosures to improve the appearance of the area and reduce vermin and fly tipping
- New bus shelter / Art Stop, bringing local art to visitors
- New gateway signage
North Shields Fish Quays Coastal Community Team is now also developing a Creative Hub to foster the creative people and companies already there but also attract more to this unique and vibrant coastal area.
Coastal Community Alliance / Coastal Community Team website – https://www.coastalcommunities.co.uk/coastal-teams/north-shields/